Rainbow summer salad
Makes 6 servings
This salad, which includes Canada's Food Guide's recommendation to eat dark green and orange vegetables, will keep for up to 2 days, refrigerated. Great for a summer BBQ or potluck or add some grilled chicken for an easy lunch.
- 2 cups (500 mL) broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) green pepper, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) orange pepper, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) mango, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cucumber, diced
- Optional: a handful of unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mango chutney
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) onion, finely diced
- pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Toss the dressing with the salad and serve.
Nutritional information per serving
(1½ cup/375 mL)
- Calories: 193
- Protein: 3 g
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Dietary cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 31 g
- Sodium: 395 mg
- Potassium: 432 mg
Developed by Nadine Day, RD. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Posted June 2007.